Sunday, December 9, 2007

A difficult night

After weeks of discussion, reading around the subject and debating, I took it upon myself to 'teach Thomas to sleep'. Tracy has gone out for a well deserved ladies night (body shop party) and left me with a nearly asleep Thomas. This turned into an awake Thomas and after the usual sleep props didnot work I decided to try to teach him the tough method. Leaving Thomas to cry (or scream) was very difficult and I must admit I very nearly cracked towards the end but eventually he went to sleep. I think it took him about 35-40 mins, which seems quite good from what I have read. I didnot pick him but tried my best to calm him by stroking his head and talking calmly to him. His cries did begin to weaken after 30 minutes but the whole process was still quite distressing for me.
It has made me realise how much the little fella means to me and how I want to protect him and look after him. I guess that is what being a parent is all about. I keep thinking about my Dad and how much he has done for me. I hope that I can be as supportive and giving to Thomas as my Dad has to me. That unconditional nature of always wanting to be there for your offspring, it is quite hard to explain really. It makes me wonder how my mother could possibly have abandoned John and I, she must really have been selfish.


No comments: